Monday, May 21, 2012

Find your focus

You know what you need. Attention. Connection. Action. People to read your newsletter, open your brochure, watch your video, buy tickets, contribute. It's how you keep your mission alive.

But the deadline looms. So you start typing.  A new variation of your standard ideas. It seems safe.  But your message is at risk of becoming scattered or stale and not particularly creative or effective.

Here's one quick way to bring your ideas into focus and build a stronger case that packs the tight emotional punch you need to deliver results.

Ask this question: How do you want people to feel as a result of your communication? 

Brainstorm a list, then narrow it down to one key central idea. Only one. Start there. Because feelings drive our actions long before thinking does.

I feel proud.  I feel inspired.  I feel empowered. I feel passionate. I feel helpful.  I feel strong. I feel energized.  I feel hopeful.  I feel grateful.  I feel amazed. I feel generous.  I feel needed. I feel happy. I want to do something....

No comments:

Post a Comment